DISCLAIMER: Court and Justice Services (CJS) Staff cannot give you legal advice, or predict the outcome of your case. This website provides general information only. If you need legal advice about your own situation, you should speak to a lawyer. There are many other helpful resources at: Links, Videos and Legal Resources.

The Civil Division of the Alberta Court of Justice provides a simple, affordable, and accessible means to resolve most types of private disputes, including landlord and tenant matters. Some parties chose not to hire a lawyer to represent them, but others may have a lawyer or agent to represent them at their own expense. The maximum amount that may be claimed in the Alberta Court of Justice Civil division is $100,000. If the claims exceed $100,000 or involve matters that cannot be heard in the Alberta Court of Justice, the claim must be filed in the Court of King's Bench. 

Civil Claim Process

This is where one party chooses to sue another party. Once a Civil Claim is filed the action goes through many steps to reach a resolution, and it may ultimately come before a judge for a legal decision. However, there are many things to consider before you sue

Residential Tenancy (Landlord and Tenant) Process

The Alberta Court of Justice Civil Division also hears applications for Landlords and Tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act and Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act. See the section Residential Tenancy Process (Landlord & Tenant).

Mediation Process

Mediation is an effective and confidential way to resolve a dispute.

More Information

There are certain filing fees for making a claim under the Civil Claim and the Landlord and Tenant Process. Other filing fees for miscellaneous forms may also apply.

  • Videos - What to do and how to behave in Civil Court.
  • Forms and Publications - Forms and Publications that apply to Civil Claims and Residential Tenancies.