COVID-19 Court Information
The Provincial Court of Alberta
This page is continuously updated. NEW information contained in this page supersedes information in earlier announcements.
COVID-19 Restricted Services -Updated January 5
The Provincial Court of Alberta is taking action to protect the health and safety of the public, and to contain the spread of COVID-19. Starting December 14, 2020 measures are being put in place due to the province-wide surge in Covid-19.
These measures include (but are not limited to):
- No traffic court matters will be dealt with in person.
- Circuit court dockets will be handled remotely, and no personal attendances will be allowed.
- Low-complexity out-of-custody trials (other than domestic violence) in Calgary and Edmonton that are scheduled between December 14, 2020 and January 29, 2021 will be adjourned to new dates.
- Regional Courts will continue to conduct bail hearings, dispositions (both in and out-of-custody), trials (including domestic violence) and preliminary hearings subject to adjournment applications by counsel.
- Some court locations may change for family and child protection matters. Please ensure you double check the location you are scheduled for.
- At regional courts, family and child protection docket matters will proceed remotely.
- At regional courts, civil matters will be heard remotely.
- At regional courts, youth matters will be heard remotely.
Some court services will not change:
- In Calgary and Edmonton, matters including bail hearings, dispositions trials, preliminary hearings, and all domestic violence trials will continue to be heard as presently scheduled.
- Out-of-custody dispositions in Calgary and Edmonton will continue.
- Regional courts will continue to conduct criminal trials, bail hearings and preliminary inquiries for criminal matters.
- All family and child protection matters will continue as scheduled in Calgary and Edmonton.
- Civil matters will proceed in Calgary and Edmonton.
Further announcements about the Provincial Court of Alberta’s Covid-19 response will be forthcoming in early January. Please check this website regularly if you have matters before the court.
For a complete list of these measures, please refer to the Guide To The Provincial Court of Alberta Covid Response (December 2020).
Existing Covid-19 Measures
Please read this document before any remote appearances: Conduct Guide for Remote Appearances
Strict health and safety measures have been put in place in all locations for:
- physical distancing and monitoring of same;
- wearing of masks and other Personal Protection Equipment (PPE);
- modifying courtrooms and other spaces; and
- enhanced cleaning.
Do not come into a courthouse in person if you have been advised to self-isolate by public health officials, your doctor or the Alberta Health Services website; or you are self-isolating as a result of travel or contact with individuals with Covid-19.
The Provincial Court will continue to monitor the situation on an ongoing basis, and will provide updates regarding the staged reopening. We thank all stakeholders who have provided support and input during the development of the resumption plans.
Managing physical distancing and other health and safety protocols will take the effort and cooperation of all court users and we thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.
Detailed Court Resumption protocols have been established for each Court division and region, and are available at the links below.
Provincial Court Pandemic Plan - COVID19