COVID-19 Criminal Adult
UPDATED June 11, 2021
Effective May 10 – June 11, 2021:
- All trials and preliminary inquiries, except where the matter is urgent, will be adjourned and new dates will be scheduled.
- All regional matters will return to their respective regional Case Management Office (CMO) location. If there is no CMO location in the region, it will return to the docket court of that location.
- In-Custody. All in-custody matters will proceed including:
- Bail hearings
- Sentencings with a priority given to those facing a time served situation
- Preliminary inquiries and trials
- Youth criminal sentence reviews
- Remote Dockets: No in-person attendance is permitted unless there is prior approval of the Court or the specific Regional Protocol allows it. Counsel and out of custody self-represented litigants must continue to appear remotely for docket appearances at court locations with CMOs and those without CMOs in accordance with the Case Management Office (CMO) and Out of Custody Docket Court Resumption Protocol.
- Judicial authorization applications: The Court will continue to hear judicial authorization applications either through the Hearing Office, by attending in Provincial Court Judges’ Chambers at a base location or in Edmonton through the Edmonton Digital Judicial Authorization Rule and Protocol.
- Criminal Fines (Adult and Youth): Applications for extension of time to pay for payment on criminal fines will be accepted by the Provincial Court via mail, email, fax or telephone.
Criminal Fine Extension Process
For further information regarding specific court locations, their protocols and practices, see the following links:
Regional Information for Self-Represented Litigants
Provincial Court Pandemic Plan - COVID19
Conduct Guide for Remote Hearings
Protocol for Booking Courtroom Technology for Remote Witness